Thursday, July 19, 2012

Dili Update

Hi everyone,

Busy and hectic times here in Dili.

I've got two weeks left before I return to Australia. There's a lot on my plate and there won't be much time to do other stuff unfortunately. Wanted to do some traveling and see the districts but with the current security situation, it doesn't seem like a good time to do it.

The situation as of today, Friday 20 July, in Dili: things 'seem' to be going back to normal. Well, it's more normal than it has been since Sunday. I hate using the term 'seems' but I really can't be unequivocal about describing the current situation. Appearances can, and are usually, deceptive. But it's all I've got.

There are still occasional incidents of rock throwing and road blocks in Dili, but they 'seem' to be on the wane. I haven't personally experienced anything, fortunately. Sunday and Monday was kinda freaky. I was out with some friends on Sunday when we started to hear reports of violence. We decided not to go home that night; it was not safe by all reports. Police had confronted demonstrators there. We crashed at a friend's place instead.

My housemates and I stayed home all Monday. Dili would have been a ghost town I suspect. Made it into the office on Tuesday, though it was only for half a day. Lots of people were sent home by their office.

Even now, going out at night doesn't feel like a sensible thing to do.

I don't believe I'm so close to finishing. It has gone very quickly.

I'll be writing another blog in response to the election results and the aftermath of the announcement of the formation of the new government.

Ate logo, Maun Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment